(farmhouse to all non-Aussies).
Well, I checked out the HO palms available on the net, some of which are quite nice. In
the end I decided to attempt to model some myself .The first thing to find was a suitable trunk.
In my garden I found the dry flower stalks of the Red Hot Poker (Kniphofia),
which seemed a good likeness (1). I found some plastic fronds in my local $2 shop among
a small arrangement. It made a quite acceptable palm.
Some time later I came across an avenue of 'Monkey Puzzle' Trees (Araucaria), which
had, it being Autumn, just dropped their (what I assume to be) either spent flower stalks or shed foliage (2).
These were filled with acrylic 'No More Gaps' and painted with acrylic 'Burnt Umber',
then dry brushed a fawn colour.The fronds were glued around the top of the trunk (clamped,
one by one). The finished top was then dipped in hot water and shaped downwards and
finally painted appropriately.
I am fairly happy with the results, but will be working to improve the palms further. They are basically just generic palms.